The discipline of Pharmacology deals with medicines and their actions in human body. It is an integral part of undergraduate medical curriculum. Knowledge about medicines enables future doctors to prescribe rationally. Our department aims to train undergraduate students of different streams in various aspects of drug use and adverse drug reaction monitoring. We also train postgraduate students in teaching and encourage them to undertake research projects.
1. Two demonstration rooms with projectors
2. Practical Laboratories as per MCI norms
a) Clinical pharmacy laboratory
b) Experimental pharmacology laboratory
c) Clinical Pharmacology laboratory
d) Research laboratory for PG students
3. Museum- with specimens, charts & models in pharmacology
4. Departmental library with latest editions of textbook
Courses run by the department
Name of Course
M.D. Pharmacology- 2 students per year
B. Sc. Nursing
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
Bachelor of Cardiovascular Technology
Conduct of theory & practical classes for MBBS, MD, BDS, BSc nursing, BCVT, DOTAT students.
Conduct of internal and external examinations (Theory and pacticals) for MBBS, MD, BDS, BSc nursing, BCVT, DOTAT students.
Institutional Ethics Committee
Clears proposals for biomedical research. Head of department is member secretary of IEC.
The department is a recognized ADR Monitoring Centre (AMC) under PvPI. Drugs and device related adverse effects are collected and uploaded to the national coordinating centre. A dedicated patient safety pharmacovigilance associate has been appointed by PvPI to collect suspected ADR reports.
CMEs conducted in last 5 years
- VIGICARE 2016-CME on Pharmacovigilance in 2016
- CME on Good clinical practice in 2017
- PHARMACON 2018- CME on “Recent trends in therapeutics” in 2018
- Comparison of the Effectiveness between Problem Based Learning and Lecture Class in Pharmacology for Medical
Undergraduates.- Dr.Jitha S
- Attitude of Prescribing Doctors towards Electronic Prescribing in a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital-Dr. S.P.Dhanya
- Drug Interactions as a cause of Adverse Drug Reactions in a Tertiary Care Hospital- Dr.Jitha S, Dr.S.P.Dhanya,
Dr.Kala Kesavan P
- Pharmacovigilance: How Aware Are The Prescribers?-Dr.Sai Nathan R
- Toxicity and tolerability of Paclitaxel and Carboplatin in patients with carcinoma ovary at a tertiary care
hospital- Dr.Dharam Prasath D. Dr.Pradeep S.
- Comparison of Amlodipine and Cilnidipine as an add on drug to baseline medications in hypertensive individuals
with chronic kidney disease in a tertiary care centre-Dr. Jesmi James, Dr. Dhanya J
- Antibiotic susceptibility, resistance pattern and adherence to protocol in new borns with septiciemia in neonatal
intensive care unit in a tertiary care centre-Dr. Harsha S,Dr. Kala Kesavan P
- Clinical profile of extrapyramidal syndromes in patients receiving antipsychotics in a tertiary
care hospital-Dr. Anupama M
- Pharmacovigilance of Cutaneous Adverse Drug Reactions among patients attending Dermatology Department at a
tertiary care hospital-Dr. Shweta Sharma
- Clinical profile of deliberate self poisoning cases in the Department of Medicine of a Government Tertiary Care
Hospital in Alappuzha-A retrospective study- Dr. Kavitha Varghese